Monday, May 9, 2011

The Most Awesome Pancakes Ever...

On any given day there is something tasty being cooked up at my house. The thing to note here is that it is not usually me doing the cooking; MC didn't come by the title Master Chef for nothing, people.

So when I headed downstairs on Saturday morning, I didn't think to make breakfast. With no one else awake yet, I sat by the front room window and read with my coffee. (Yes, it was awesome. And quiet. And highly unusual.)

Around 8:45 I had a brilliant thought: I should make our big Saturday morning breakfast! I scoured the fridge and pantry and realized: No grocery shopping for two weeks = no food in the house. No eggs, no bacon, no bread... all I had was half a box of pancake mix and some Quaker quick oats.


I stared blankly at the pantry for a few minutes. I envy MC and his ability to walk into the kitchen, find five unrelated ingredients, and throw them together to make something amazing. He's like McGyver, but with food instead of paper clips. Plus, nothing he's made has ever blown up. Always a bonus, I think...

This morning was different. In a burst of wild kitchen creativity, I came up with this:





Because of the applesauce and oats, these were not light and fluffy, but rather thick and hearty. This is perfect for a 12 year old that eats like a horse growing boy. Although I used unsweetened applesauce, the girls loved them too and ate them with and without syrup.






About halfway through, I had to add a little more water to the batter as it had started to thicken up.





It was the BLT that called these 'the most awesome pancakes ever'. Who am I to debate that?!?




Since I am not usually the recipient of such praise when it comes to cooking, I figured they must taste good enough to share with you all. At the very least, they shouldn't kill you. Again, always a bonus when working in the kitchen.


Did I mention that we were also out of syrup? An easy fix for someone who has a bottle of Mapleine in their pantry:





What the...???



I know, I know! Nobody knows what that stuff is except for my grandfather. He makes his syrup from scratch using Mapleine flavoring and I happened to have a bottle. I have no idea how long I've had it, but it's been sitting unused in the back of the pantry, waiting for just this opportunity to shine in all it's maple flavor-like glory.



Well... what do you think of my recipe? Worth trying?



Oh, and I promise - you won't blow up ; )




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...