Monday, September 26, 2011

Fingerprints on the Fridge…

Before MC and I purchased our shiny new stainless steel fridge, I asked the sales guy point blank:  Is this fridge going to show fingerprints all over it?  Because that will simply drive my brain batty…

And that sales guy looked me right in the eyes…

And lied.  LIED!  Won’t show fingerprints, my hiney!  It’s entirely possible that my refrigerator is actually a fingerprint magnet and can collect fingerprints from children who aren’t even in the same room with it!

But that doesn’t even come close to the aggravation resulting from the next problem I had with my shiny metal behemoth.  Ohhhhh, no.  Not even close.  My fridge’s next problem? 

Rust. 

023

{Rust. On a ‘stainless’ steel fridge.  I kid you not…}

I’m still not entirely sure how it happened, but I was now the owner of a rusty, fingerprinty, stainless steel fridge.

028

{People, I cannot make this stuff up...}

For about a week, I literally did not make eye contact with my fridge.  My brain simply couldn’t handle the double abomination of fingerprints and rust.  But, reluctantly I concluded that ignoring the fridge did not, in fact, take care of my rust/fingerprint problem and I would actively have to do something in order to fix it.

So I went to the place where all solutions exist: the Internets.  And the Internets gave me several different options.

Option number 1: Vinegar and salt.  I’m not sure what chemical processes are going on with vinegar and salt, but I had used it to get rust out of a shirt once, so it was my first choice.  And it failed miserably.  Undeterred, I moved on to:

Option number 2:  Lemon juice and baking soda.  When I mixed the two, they fizzed like hydrogen peroxide poured over an open wound and I was immediately impressed.  After playing with the foamy mixture for a minute, I gently rubbed it over the rust spots:

038

{Success!}

ACK!!! It worked!  I still can’t believe it worked, but who am I to question the knowledge of the Internets?  Instead, I will sit back and admire my now non-rusty refrigerator and pretend that it is not still covered in fingerprints.  

028038

{Before and After}

Do you have stainless steel appliances?  What do you use to clean them off… and does it get rid of the fingerprints???

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...