Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring...

The Vernal Equinox, which marks the first day of spring, was March 20th this year. What exactly is a vernal equinox, you ask? Well, I had to look it up cause I just gotta know stuff like that. Vernal comes from the Latin vernalis, the root being ver which just means spring. Equinox is a nifty word that literally means 'equal night'; on these two days (there is one in fall, too, called the autumnal equinox) the length of the day and night is about the same: 12 hours. There, now you know something you didn't know two minutes ago. Unless you already knew, then I apologize for boring you. No matter what it's called, what it means is winter is over and the days are getting longer (more daylight, yea!).

I don't mind the snow all that much (no, really! I don't!) but I have to say that I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing my flowers bloom and the grass turn green. Of course, this being the Frozen North, I only recently had the privilege of viewing my lawn, then having it be completely recovered in snow and now... I can see it again! Woo Hoo!


I know it's not green, but I'll take it. After all, directly across the street from me, my neighbors still can't see their lawn (a bonus for me, my house faces south).


Best of all was walking around the side of my house and being surprised by the green shoots of my daffodils bursting out of the ground. Snow or no snow, spring is here!



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...