Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Our Easter Involved Rodents... Did yours?

This is a cautionary tale. Or tail, as it were...



It was the Saturday evening before Easter and the Easter Vigil Mass had just ended. Since it was a little after ten P.M. the Master Chef had taken the BLT (Bitty, Lovely L, and T Bub) home to put them to bed. I stayed behind and helped clean up the snacks and goodies provided to help welcome our newest members into the Church.

So it was after eleven when I pulled into our driveway, tired and happy, and looking forward to climbing into my jammies before getting eggs ready for the Easter Bunny. The Master Chef had already gotten the Easter bin out of the garage and brought it into the living room. Settling on the floor beside him, I began pulling plastic eggs out of the bin and popping the two halves apart. The next five minutes sounded something like this:

Me: Hey. This egg has a big hole in the top. How'd that happen? I don't think it could've broken in a perfect circle like that... (looking closer) Is that scratch marks? WHAT THE HECK?!? OH MY GOSH, THAT'S MOUSE POOP!!! THERE'S MOUSE POOP IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BIN! HONEY!!!!! LOOKIT!!! OHMYGOSH THAT'S DISGUSTING, IT'S EVERYWHERE! THEY TRIED TO EAT THEIR WAY INTO THE EASTER EGGS!!!!

Master Chef: Oh. Okay, so what do you want me to do?

Me: HONEY ARE YOU SEEING THIS? OHMYGOSH, THAT IS SO NASTY!!! THEY TRIED TO CLAW AND CHEW THEIR WAY THROUGH THE EGGS!
At this point it is now midnight, and technically Easter morning. And although I knew our options were slim, I had absolutely no desire to use those eggs. But really, what choice did we have? I couldn't think of any stores that would be open after midnight on Easter and we had no other Easter eggs.


My absolute horror at the situation did not make an impression on the Master Chef, however.

Master Chef: So you want me to wash these? I'll use Lysol.

Me: (to myself) I... I can't touch these... mouse disease... mice chewing, clawing... mouse poop..

Master Chef: Okay, so I used disinfectant, and these are dry.

Me: (still muttering under my breath) Mouse disease... on the Discovery Channel... really bad... mouse poop... diseases...

Master Chef: Are you going to help or what?

And then the Easter Bunny hid the eggs.


Thankfully we've never had any mice in the house (except for one time, but that's another story). However, it's clear that we need to do some mouse removal in our garage *shiver* Ugh...


6 awesome thoughts:

~ Sara Ann said... Best Blogger Tips

NO WAY so you ended up using them?! LOL Don't you have a 24-hour Walgreens or Walmart nearby? I would have used ZIPLOCK baggies instead of those things!!!! LOL LOL LOL ... (I'm ghetto, I know). 1 word: HANTAVIRUS!!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002358/

Did you put candy in them? You have me cracking up.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

At least they were trying to claw into the eggs instead of trying to claw their way out of the eggs!! :) (I actually thought the story would be grosser) - Karri :)

Kristin Marriott said... Best Blogger Tips

Great. Now I've got a visual of mice clawing out of eggs. Thanks Karri ;)
I actually think mice are really cute when they're not trying to live in my holiday decorations. lol

Kristin Marriott said... Best Blogger Tips

Sara - I looked up hantavirus while I was writing this post and my thought at that point was,'great. The kids just ate candy out of death eggs.' UGH...

Janae Moss said... Best Blogger Tips

haha...uggg and yuck at the same time...haha, so gross it's funny!! thanks for saying hi :)

Cindi said... Best Blogger Tips

Haha! Funny post. We had the same problem with our Christmas decorations. The little, gross, disgusting mouse had made a comfortable nest out of ornaments in the bottom of the box. I freaked out. We also figured out what had been stealing the dog food in the garage.

I also have an Easter mouse story but it is really really gross and I won't share it. I do know the mice love chocolate and that mouse had quite a store of little chocolate eggs when we discovered her nest.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...